In this Discover Wisconsin short, join us in Antigo, Wisconsin where host Eric Paulsen is going to show you how to make the most out of your small town experience! Whether you are looking for that small town escape or just wanting to get the best of a travel layover, we’ve got you covered! Here are our top 5 ways to enjoy a small town!
1) Get the local twist on classic institutions. Every town has that diner or dive that everyone knows and loves, and each one has its own unique flare. In Antigo, #dixielunch is known for their amazing Kolaches, and Eric loved the bacon! So get out and visit as many diners as you can because, as we all know, variety is the spice of life!
2) Put it all into context by checking out a museum or art gallery. Getting more perspective on the local history and culture can enrich your experience and give you a deeper understanding of the people and places around you. The brand new Antigo Welcome Center is home to the Langlade County Historical Society Museum, where you can get up and into a retired train engine!
3) Support small businesses. From Farmers Markets to Mom and Pop Shops, you can score exclusive hand-made and home grown products that can’t be found anywhere else. If you’re an early bird, you just might find yourself in a fun conversation with the vendors at the #Antigofarmersmarket!
4) Seek out special events and activities by going to the town’s tourism website or social media handles. The #Amsoil Off-Road Race was such a blast and a great way to meet new people!
5) Cherish the little things. Nature walks, bike rides, or meditation in the park. Whatever you choose to do with your downtime, it is an opportunity to connect to yourself or your loved ones. So check out the amazing #springbrooktrail boardwalk - We promise this is the closest you can get to nature while inside city limits!