Wisconsinites are notoriously friendly, happy people. Despite the frigid weather in the winter and the constant annoyance of mosquitos in the summer, people in Wisco manage to put on a smile and offer a “Hey neighbor!” most of the time. But everyone, even Wisconsinites, has their buttons that you just do not push. The phrase “cheesed off” may apply here.
cheesed off adjective [after verb] uk /ˌtʃiːzd ˈɒf/ us /ˌtʃiːzd ˈɑːf/ UK informal. annoyed and disappointed with something or someone: She's a bit cheesed off with her job. Angry and displeased.
- Saying that happy cows come from California
Sure, it’s beautiful and sunny there a lot more than here, but stop trying to make “The Dairy State” happen, California. That title is taken.
- Restaurants that don’t offer deep fried cheese curds
Nachos and potato skins are great and all, but we’re hard-pressed to think of a better way to start a meal than with deep fried cheese curds.
- Rooting for any NFL team other than the Packers
Especially if it’s the Bears or the Vikings.
- Buying a cabin/cottage in Minnesota or Michigan
They’re beautiful in their own right, and we may be biased, but with borders along two Great Lakes, acres upon acres of forests, and 15,000 lakes, Wisconsin really has it all – why leave?
- Driving 10mph in an inch of snow
We’re all for safe driving, but if we’re driving behind you going 10mph and the roads are clear, we may tap the horn very nicely.
- Debating euchre, cribbage and sheepshead
Everyone has their preference, and if yours doesn’t match with theirs, prepare for a debate.
- Buying Velveeta cheese over local cheese
Not all cheese is created equal.
- Choosing a hot dog/hamburger over a brat
We love a good hot dog or hamburger as much as the next guy, but if a brat is an option, the choice is easy.
- A wedding that doesn’t play polka music
We can’t even imagine a wedding without “Roll Out the Barrel”.
- An Old-Fashioned made with whiskey
An Old-Fashioned with whiskey is better than no Old-Fashioned at all, but a true Wisconsinite can be found with a brandy Old-Fashioned in hand.
- Not jumping around between the third and fourth quarter of a Badger game
We’ll take any excuse to get on our feet and celebrate our team.
- Missing opening weekend for a wedding
Your wedding attire might as well say “I’d rather be in my tree stand.”
What crimes against Wisconsin irk you most? Share with us on social media using #discoverwisconsin.
Kristen Finstad is a member of the Discover Wisconsin crew. Having grown up in River Falls, attending UW-Stevens Point and now living in Madison, she’s a Wisconsin girl through and through. Watch Discover Wisconsin TV Saturday mornings at 10 on Fox Sports Wisconsin. (Twitter: @DiscoverWI)