Gentlemen, our time is coming. As summer winds down, we say goodbye to lawn mowing and yard work, weddings and the summer soirees our wives and girlfriends adore. Before we know it, the holidays will be upon us, filled with lots and lots of family time and travel. Don’t get me wrong, family time is great, but sometimes we need a weekend to unwind—just the guys. Here’s a lineup of our favorite guys’ getaways in Wisconsin during fall and winter.
- Wisconsin Football in the FallFall in Wisconsin means football, and there’s no better way to enjoy a game with the guys than tailgating beforehand and celebrating the win afterward. Between the Green Bay Packers and University of Wisconsin Badgers, you’ll be sure to find a game day that fits everyone’s schedule. Rally a dozen football fanatics, pack up your pickup with all your tailgating essentials and hit the road for Lambeau Field or Camp Randall. If you’re feeling really bold, go for the double whammy—Badgers on Saturday, Packers on Sunday.
- Tour de Brewery ToursLet's be honest, no guys’ weekend would be complete without a few brews. Wisconsin has countless breweries scattered throughout the state, so why not visit a handful of them and make a weekend out of it? The Milwaukee area is home to Sprecher Brewery, Lakefront Brewery, and Brenner Brewing Company among others. In Madison you’ll find Ale Asylum, Capital Brewery, Wisconsin Brewing Company and New Glarus Brewing Company in—you guessed it—New Glarus. Don’t forget about Bull Falls Brewery in Wausau and Point Brewery in Stevens Point. Cheers!
- Golf Season is in Full SwingWhere better to take in the Wisconsin’s fall colors than on the fairway? Central Wisconsin boasts many impressive golf courses; take for example Wild Rock in the Dells, SentryWorld in Stevens Point, Lake Arrowhead just south of Wisconsin Rapids and Northern Bay on Castle Rock Lake. Tee up, boys!
- Teach a Man to Fish…When we were young, our dads taught us the art of fishing. Then we grew up and discovered the thrill of competition. Naturally, we combined the two into one glorious hybrid—behold, the fishing tournament. From Lake Michigan to Lake Superior and almost every lake, river and stream in between you’ll find a fishing tournament this fall. Gather some friends and your fishing gear for an awesome weekend on the water. Who’s up for a little friendly competition?
- Deer Camp
Maybe this one goes without saying, but we think it’s one of the ultimate guys’ getaways. Think about it—a weekend (or full week for the truly die-hard deer hunters among us) of rustic living in Wisconsin’s Northwoods where your only care in the world is taking down the legendary 30-point buck. Now that’s pure bliss. Archery and crossbow deer season begins on September 13, and gun hunting season is November 22-30. We wait for this week all year long.
- Dust off Those Skis
Brace yourself, winter is coming. No matter where you live in Wisconsin, chances are there’s a ski resort closer than you think—we have a whopping 30 ski resorts, after all. For a thrilling weekend of black diamond slopes, book a lodge at Granite Peak at Rib Mountain State Park in Wausau. If you and the guys prefer something more low-key, try cross country skiing or snowshoeing. Wisconsin is home to more than 700 miles of groomed cross country ski trails.
- Go off RoadAnother favorite winter past-time of ours—snowmobiling. If the sights of Wisconsin’s more than 25,000 miles of scenic snowmobile trails don’t take your breath away, the cold air sure will. Bundle up, boys, and prepare for an awesome weekend zipping around to your heart’s content. And don’t forget to plan your trip around the Packers schedule so you can catch the game on Sunday at a local tavern—the perfect end to a guys’ getaway.